Sunday 3 January 2016

Everglades National Park

10,000 Island Boat Ride
Today we spent an hour and one-half aboard the Seahorse to travel into the Everglades.  It was a leisurely narrated tour that took us to the Gulf of Mexico.  The Captain told us there are billions of oysters in this bay but the red mangrove trees stain the water with tanic acid turning the oysters black and bitter to the taste. However, each oyster filters 50 gallons of water every day.

Brown Pelicans and Rare Oyster Catchers
We saw many birds including pelicans, herons, egrets, ibis, double crested cormorants and even rarely seen American oyster catchers.

White Pelicans
We even spotted a small pod of bottlenose dolphins that followed in the wake of the boat until they got bored with us.  I spotted a small hammerhead shark dart under the boat as we watched for the dolphins.

Having Fun in the Everglades
This tour provided a look at marine life, landscape and nesting birds.

Brackish Waters Where Salt Water Meets Fresh Water

O Captain, My Captain

1 comment:

  1. Got you New Year Card. Glad to see you're over that whole Christmas/Jesus stuff and are celebrating the New Year like the Druids did! I'd send you our Xmas letter and a card but I do not have your address. We went to Seattle for Christmas to visit Kate and Mara also joined us. Not much to report although we finally placed mom in assisted living after dad had a heart attack and stroke. He's living at home and she has dementia so she had to go in. Not a happy mom. I vow I'll respect my kids when I get that old and not take advantage of them.
    Biked Nebraska in the summer and went through a tornado and 2 97 degree days. This year number 27 will be Oklahoma.
    Glad you are enjoying yourselves. But I did notice not all was bliss as I thought I saw a shark fin following you in the water. Enjoy which I am sure you two are doing! Jim Legner

    ReplyDelete